Cleansing your body is an important component of maintaining optimal health, especially with the many chemicals and contaminants that surround us in our everyday lives. However, many people are intimidated and overwhelmed at the idea of committing to a comprehensive cleanse, such as a multi-day fast.
While there are many benefits to fasting, it can be quite a challenge to go without food for multiple days. The good news is fasting isn’t the only way to cleanse. In fact, there are many simpler ways to help your body shed unwanted waste.
In this article, I’ve put together a list of the top five easy ways to cleanse your body.
These techniques are effective and can be easily incorporated into your daily routine. Plus, if they still seem like too much, I’ve included some quick tips that will give you some even easier alternatives.
1. Sweat— Sweating is one of the primary ways your body cleanses itself. Not only is this a highly efficient method to flush out waste, it is also one of the safest. One of the best ways to sweat is from physical activity. Any exercise that gets your heart rate up enough to start the sweat flowing is excellent.
A good place to start is 20 minutes of movement per day, rigorous enough to make you sweat. No matter how you get your sweat on, be sure to keep yourself well hydrated.
Quick Tip! — You don’t have to increase your activity to sweat. You can just increase your body temperature. This can be achieved by sitting in a sauna, steam shower, or by taking a hot bath.
2. Eat More Fiber — Most people have heard that fiber is something they should be eating, but did you know that it is also a great food to help cleanse your body? Fiber is found in all of the plants we eat – vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains and legumes.
Since fiber is in a form that we cannot digest, it acts like a scrub brush, absorbing heavy metals and other toxic substances as it moves through your digestive tract. Finally, it moves out of your system, allowing your body to eliminate the waste absorbed by the fiber.
So how much fiber should you eat? Current recommendations from the American Heart Association are to eat at least 25 grams of fiber per day.
Quick Tip! — Eat 1-2 pieces of whole fruit per day, and enjoy a snack of carrots and hummus between meals to boost your fiber intake.
3. Breath Deeply — You’re well aware that your lungs supply your body with oxygen, but did you know that they are also an excellent way your body cleanses itself? Each time you breathe, your lungs releases carbon dioxide and other waste products, resulting in a cleaner system. However, most people don’t actually use their breath to its full cleansing potential. They take shallow, quick breaths, which decrease the release of waste and can even increase stress and anxiety.
To put your lungs to their full cleansing capacity, sit or lay somewhere comfortable, holding your back and head straight. Pull your breath deep into your belly and push it out using your diaphragm. Keep your breath slow and steady as you release each rejuvenating breath. A goal of 5-10 minutes of slow, deep, belly breathes per day will have you feeling reenergized in no time.
Quick Tip! — Don’t feel like you have time sit quietly for deep breathing? Try fitting it in to your day while you are doing other things like waiting in line at the grocery store or waiting for an appointment. You don’t have to make a special time for this and you can even do it standing.
4. Dry Brush Your Skin — Dry brushing is done in the comfort of your home with a stiff bristled bathing brush. This technique removes dead skin and stimulates blood and lymph flow. Increased blood flow helps your body move waste out of its cells and ultimately out of your system.
To dry brush, use a bathing brush to exfoliate your skin, brushing in smooth motions on your body. Always brush your skin towards your heart, which will help move the blood in the correct direction. Follow the brushing with a hot shower to clean the revitalized skin and open your pores. You can also use a salt scrub to increase sweating during the shower.
Quick Tip! — Dry brushing sound like too much work? Go visit your favorite masseuse and let them do the work for you. Massage provides many of the same benefits as dry brushing as it stimulates blood and lymph flow. Let them know you are looking for a massage that will optimize cleansing.
5. Drink Enough Water — This one is a no-brainer. Water is the primary way your body removes toxins. So in order to support the first four tips in this list, it is important to drink an adequate amount of water to ensure you are hydrated enough for cleansing.
So how much water do you need to drink? About half your weight in ounces is a good goal. This means if you weigh 140 lbs you want to drink about 70 oz of water per day.
One easy way to ensure you drink enough water is to carry a water bottle with you that you drink from throughout the day. And, if you use a plastic bottle, make sure it’s BHP-free.
Quick Tip! — Have trouble drinking straight water? Try adding a little bit of lemon or lime juice to your water to add a refreshing flavor.
If you feel overwhelmed at the idea of adding all five of these tips into your routine at once, start by adding just one. As you become more comfortable with the first one, you can experiment with the rest.
I hope these suggestions will help you integrate a more regular cleansing routine into your everyday life. Simple cleansing doesn’t have to be difficult, and it can even be fun. I hope you will join me in treating your body to these revitalizing activities.
Take care and be well,